Friday, September 1, 2017

World 3-42: Commander Keen

Commander Keen in Invasion of the Vorticons
~PC

After 3 hours total playtime, I finally managed to beat the first episode of Commander Keen! I love this game; it brings back so many memories. Everything from the lollipops (or, debatably, balloons) and suspiciously familiar pop cans to his trademark pogo stick and ray gun, everything about this game is iconic and amazing to me. Without being clouded by the mist of nostalgia, I can step back and say that the sound effects were terrible (minus item grabbing), and note that the music was entirely nonexistent, but that much is given based on the game's ripe old age of 22. However, with today's technology, it is easy enough to throw on some background noise and get your game on with the atmosphere of your choice.

I actually found this game a slight easier than when I was a kid, which is somewhat backwards from my take on a lot of old games. In fact, I don't remember ever finishing it back then, and even though the controls took some reacquainting, I was able to pick it up like I had never stopped playing. I spent a good amount of time familiarizing myself with each level, exploring areas that I had never made it to back in the 90's and collecting more items than ever. Sometimes when confronted with a fast monster I would run, terrified, defying the personality of 8-year-old boy genius, and star of the game, Billy Blaze.
7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment